Wednesday 11 June 2014

Tie - Dye : Making Garment Process

                               Tie Dye ProcessEquipment list :- Dye(s)
- Plastic Bowl(s)
- Salt: 5tbps
- Mixing Spoon
- Jug
- Water 
- Rubber Gloves 


To tie - Dye my T-shirt I have bought 5 different colours of Dylon fabric dye. Purple, Yellow, Blue, Green and Pink.  


I used a bowl for each different dye, I filled the bowl up with 1ltr of warm tap water. I then added 5tbps of salt to the water.
 

After adding the salt to the warm water, I used the spoon to mix to make sure that the salt had dissolved.



I then used the jug and added 250ml of warm water again before adding the sash of fabric dye. I then used the spoon again to mix to make sure all the fabric power has mixed with the water.

 

 
I mixed the pink dye first you can see that the colour is bright.


Finally I added the dye from the jug into the bowl where I would be able to dye my t-shirts.
 
 
I repeated the same process with my other dyes to create the different colours.
 
 
 
T-shirt: Techniques

To help me with tie - dying my t-shirt I used the blog post from urban outfitter :
 
 The technique I used for this t-shirt is called the spiral. I pinched the middle of the shirt and twisted to make a big swirl I then secured the t-shirt with elastic bands.


I placed my t-shirt that I was getting ready to tie- dye in the bowls just for show before dying them to show how I was going to do this.


 
The technique I used for this t-shirt is called the accordion. I folded the t-shirt in half and then made horizontal line by folding the fabric again. To secure the t-shirt and make sure I get the effect I want I used elastic bands.


This technique is not inspired from the Urban Outfitters blog post, I just used elastic bands to fasten some of the t-shirt to create circled and make sure that them patches stayed white.




How I dye the t-shirts - For some of the t-shirt I left them in the dye longer to get a more vibrant, brighter colour but with other I just dipped them in to get a more funky and cool tie - dye effect.



 You can see that the colouring is really bright and vibrant this is because I left the t-shirt in the dye for 20 minuets. To get a stronger and richer colour.
 
 
I did the tie - dying in my garden because the process is really messy, I placed my t-shirt on black bin bags to dry off after being dipped in the dyes. 








No comments:

Post a Comment